Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Definition of a Friend

Friend (fr nd) n. 1. A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts. 2. A person whom one knows;
an acquaintance 3. A person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade. 4. One who supports, sympathizes with, or patronizes a group, cause, or movement. (Definition from www.thefreedictionary.com)

Everyone needs a good friend or two; by good friend I mean someone who knows every detail of your life and still loves you all the same.  Of course you’re going to have more than just one or two friends (or maybe you don’t and well if that’s the case then maybe you shouldn’t be such a grumpy person!) but in reality you only need a couple GOOD friends.  I’m lucky enough to have a few GOOD friends; friends who’ve I’ve known for more than half my life, fiends who’ve have been with me through every good, paid, and ugly party of my life—friends that I consider family.  Of all my friends there is one that stands out above the rest, even if she is the one who always seems to get me into the most crazy situations!

Sara (Sar·a (sâr) n. 1. A person whom has known me for three-quarters of my life.  2. A person who is beyond hysterical. 3. A person who always seems to be the cause of trouble—in a good/fun way.   4. One who is always straightforward and honest with me even when she knows it’s probably what I don’t want to hear but knows it’s what I need to hear. (Definition from ME!)

Oh where do I begin with the story of Sara and I’s friendship?  Let’s take it back to the days in elementary school where we played soccer together; or should I say, I played soccer and Sara practiced her gymnastics movies on the field!  Although we had the same circle of friends we were more of acquaintances then and continued to be until high school when our friendship blossomed and we suddenly realized how much alike we really were.   Who knew that I’d ever find someone who was as direct, snappy, overly sarcastic, spontaneous, funny, and stylish as I?  
From the time we realized that we were truly “two peas in a pod” we had many crazy and fun adventures.  From visiting “Mary Jane’s Grave” to several car “mishaps,” our friendship was nothing less than entertaining.  Not only was Sara my main source of entertainment but she was my main source of free therapy sessions.  I knew that no matter what life was serving me Sara would be there to help me through it.  She’d always be the first one to snap me out of my pity party and back to reality—thank God for Sara!

As we’ve grown up Sara and I have had periods of time where we talk less than usual and then periods of time where we talk daily, however, no matter what the circumstances have been our friendship has always held strong.  When we are together it’s as if we are teenage girls all over again—no stop laughter and silliness.  (Trust me wine does not help this matter!)   Although our friendship can never be as carefree as it was when we were younger, in the days of no responsibility, we still make sure it’s never-ending fun!  We plan lots of weekend trips and other excursions all that involve an over abundant amount of alcohol and lots of shopping.  Whether it’s an Ohio State football game, a bar crawl in New York, or a ghost hunt in Salem Mass, we always seem to be the life of the party.

The point I’m trying to get at is that although you can have many friends you need to make sure that you have one friend who is there with you through everything.  You need a friend who has seen you at your worst but only cares to remember you for your best.  You need a friend can talk sense into you while your both inebriated and who stops you from making embarrassing decisions that you’ll regret in the morning. You need a friend who will be there on your wedding day to make sure that you never stop laughing no matter how stressed or emotional you may be.  You need a friend who is still going to be all of these things and more when you’re 90 years old and getting pulled over for drinking and driving on your motorized wheel chair.  You need your own “Sara!”
 
My favorite Sara quote-"I'm popping oreo's like pringles because once you pop you can't stop..." haha and this is why I love her!!
:o) Brit

2 comments:

  1. Great post--what is your favorite "girls' trip" you and Sara have taken? You know I love to travel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have traveled lots around the western part of the country--just weekend trips. However, we really want to go to Austria next year for my 30th so we can go try out a "beer bath!"

    ReplyDelete